LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
by Jim Funkhouser
(First published in the Triumph Standard Newsletter, January 2001)
Do you believe in love at first sight? I do, for you see, it’s happened to me twice in my life. The first time was when I met my wife, Cindy. She was a blind date that ended in a long and happy marriage. But this story is about the second time the love bug struck.
I was on my way to my office when I heard on the radio that there was a traffic accident on the freeway, so I decided to take surface streets. As I was cruising down the boulevard, a flash of red hair caught my eye. I did a double take to see the prettiest little girl standing at a bus stop1. Wow! I was thunder struck. I would drive the long way to work, just so I could see the beautiful red head. I decided that if she would ever notice me, I would make her mine.
Then, one day it happened. Our eyes met and she smiled2. That did it. I gathered up my courage3 and asked if she would like to go for a walk with me4. “Sure, she said. I’d like that.” As we walked, she told me that her friends called her Red. I heard bells ringing5.
She was beautiful. Her petite stature enhanced her curvaceous body. But as I got to know her better, I could see signs of a rough past. She said that she was 27 years old6, but I’m sure that she has been around the block at least once7. Her clothes were old and faded8 and she wheezed when she tried to walk uphill9. But I fell for her anyway.
Recently, Red turned 57. We celebrated with a nice drive to San Diego10. She and I have been good friends for a long time now, and luckily, Cindy doesn’t seem to mind the time we spend together11.
1. A bright red Spitfire was parked in a lot behind a bus stop.
2. Someone had placed a “For Sale” sign on the window.
3. I gathered up $800.00
4. I asked to take the car for a test drive.
5. The muffler had a loose baffle and sounded like a ringing bell.
6. The odometer had 27,000 miles.
7. I suppose it was more like 127,000 miles.
8. Someone had replaced the carpeting with red carpet and let it fade in the sun.
9. It needed a tune up real bad.
11. That’s why Cindy is my favorite!