1980 Fuel Injected Triumph TR7 Convertible Spider Edition
Owners since new: John & Arlene Nyikes (Sun City Roseville)
Date of Build: September 15, 1980 @ Solihull, UK
Engine: #CK-1403-UC* Replaced by Engine #CL-16369-UL
Transmission: #CL-106883-C (OIEM Factory LT77 5 Speed) Replaced by #14-ACL-1129-B (Rebuild Rover LT77 5 Speed)
We purchased our TR7 Spider on 10/19/1982 from the Union Jack Triumph Dealership n Hayward, CA. Post British Leland it was one of two remaining new cars left in their showroom the other being a silver 1981 TR8.
Our limited edition 1980 TR7 Spider with its distinctive red striping and Triumph decals is one of about 1800 cars built for the US market and one of only 200 Fuel Injected Spiders produced for California with its tougher emissions standards. The Spiders were the only factory production TR7’s to be painted black.
We drove this car for 5 years as a daily commuter until July of 1987 and placed it into storage due to an engine failure. The car remained in storage until June of 2006 when it was restored to running condition by Glenn Clark of “The Car Clinic” located in Rancho Cordova, CA. Every effort has been made to keep this car original as it came from the factory.
In February of 2007 the car was painted and detailed by “Lorenzo’s” of Rancho Cordova, CA. The interior of this car is factory original with the exception of the black & gray striped cloth seat covers which have been replaced and recovered in black vinyl.
The following work was completed between June 2006 & February 2008:
- Replacement engine #CL-16369-UL rebuilt to factory specs
- Alternator rebuilt & original starter upgraded to new gear reduction starter
- New OEM Delco Remy Electronic Distributor installed
- York A/C compressor, drier & hoses rebuilt & installed
- Rebuilt Rover LT77 5 speed transmission & clutch kit installed
- Rebuilt differential hub assembly installed with new axle kits
- New OEM drive shaft installed
- New Shocks, struts & suspension bushings installed through out
- New front discs installed & front & rear brakes overhauled
- OEM Fuel tank refurbished by “Triumphs Only: of Stockton, CA
- New catalytic converter & exhaust system installed by “All Muffler” of Rocklin, CA.
- Steering wheel, seats, door panels & sun visors refurbished
- Vehicle Painted & detailed
- Passed Calif. Smog certification in June of 2006 & June of 2008
The original factory engine has been rebuilt by Glenn Clark & included re-sleeving of the #4 cylinder and installation of new TriumphTune high compression pistons, road cam, rods, re-ground crankshaft & new rod & crankshaft bearings. We expect the engine to be re-installed winter 2008-2009.
The original factory transmission has been rebuilt and will be re-installed this winter 2008-2009.
During detailing the red reflective striping was applied to reflect the owner’s preference. The original striping as applied by the factory ran from the headlights along the body just below the door handles and along the bottom edge of the trunk lid. Our preference was to run the stripping above the door handles and along the upper edge of the trunk.